Since our foundation in 1838, as a school and home for the daughters of missionaries in Walthamstow, we have been sending accomplished, confident young women into the world to lead purposeful lives, making a real difference in the fields of their choosing. Our earliest pupils went to work in far-flung locations, often as medics and teachers. Today, with an ever greater wealth of opportunity open to them, this confident spirit of adventure (represented by the school’s emblem, the ship) is more relevant than ever.
In 1882 the school moved out of London to its present, specially built site in Sevenoaks. As the school grew it became the girls’ Grammar School under the Direct Grant system. Walthamstow Hall is now a fully independent selective day school offering an enriched grammar school curriculum in a Christian setting.
Founded in Walthamstow, as a Home and School for the daughters of missionaries.
Relocation to purpose-built Arts and Crafts building at our present site in Sevenoaks.
Main Assembly Hall opened.
The original Science Block opened.
The original Swimming Pool opened.
Opening of the Salmon Wing for Art and English.
The Ship Theatre built.
Opening of Sixth Form Centre, Emmeline Blackburn House.
New Library opened.
The Erasmus Centre for Humanities and Languages opened.
Opening of the new Science Block.
New Swimming Pool Complex and Mulberry Sports Hall opened.
Opening of Mathematics Suite. Opening of Elwes Drama Studio.
Opening of John Downton Music Room. Opening of Design Technology Room.
Opening of the new student entrance, reception and gallery space, The Hub.
Refurbishment of The Ship Theatre to celebrate the school's 175th Anniversary.
New Sports Hall, Fitness Room, Fitness Studio, large Teaching Room and variable changing facilities have been built to adjoin the Pool Complex, to become the Sports Centre.
Work has commenced on the building of the new Sixth Form Centre, to open September 2017.