Before Making an Application
Before applying for a place for their daughter parents are invited to read the School’s prospectus pack, including a Further Information booklet and the School’s Admission policy. To receive a prospectus pack click here.
- If parents like what they see in the school prospectus they are invited to book a tour of the Junior School and a meeting with Head of the Junior School, Mrs Wood, by contacting the Registrar, Mrs Alex Knight directly at email@example.com.
- Following their visit to the School parents can make an application on the school’s ‘Application for Admission‘ form (included in the prospectus pack) and send it into school accompanied by the registration fee of £100.
- Applications for admission are dealt with on receipt.
- Girls are invited to attend ‘taster sessions’ in the year group they will join.
- A Head’s Report is requested from the current school.
- Decisions are posted to parents within one week of the ‘taster session’.
- Where places are over-subscribed for a particular year group a waiting list is established.
Once an application form and registration fee have been submitted prospective pupils are invited to attend ‘taster sessions’ in the year group they will join.
In Early Years and Year 1 and 2 taster sessions are informal and based on age-appropriate activities.
From Year 3 upwards, the taster session can include more formal elements including assessment papers. This is particularly important for those girls joining the School in Year 5 or 6 who wish to go on to sit entrance papers for Walthamstow Hall Senior School in Year 6.
In addition to the taster session a Head’s report is requested from the girl’s current school.
Places will be offered to girls who demonstrate their academic potential and the likelihood that they will benefit from the ethos of the School, and the broad and challenging education provided by the School. Selection is made by the Headmistress, assisted by appropriate senior staff.
The selection will be based on:
- a Head’s report from the pupil’s current school, including assessment data e.g. base-line test scores
- the results of the pupil’s taster session
- the parents’ expressed preference in choice of schools, in the instance of oversubscription.
Decisions regarding the offer of a place are posted to parents within one week of their daughter attending their taster session.
Selection Criteria in an oversubscribed year
Where all things are equal the following criteria will be used:
a) a daughter of a missionary;
b) a sibling whose sister is in the school at the date of the application;
c) in the event of a tie-breaker proving necessary, the school will, as a last resort, take into account the proximity of home to school.
Appeals and Complaints
The Headmistress’s decision is final, but if a parent has a concern about the admission process, the complaint should be discussed first of all with the Headmistress, and if there is no satisfactory outcome, a complaint can be made to the Governing Body. The complaint should be put in writing to the Clerk of the Governing Body. A committee of the Governing Body will consider the complaint and make a ruling.